Saturday, September 18, 2010

homemade granola bars

IMG_1134
When I am on the go, I practically live on granola bars! And when I have time I make a large batch of granola bars that we can grab and go. They are really easy to make, super yummy and end up costing much less than buying them at the grocery store.


IMG_1112
I start with about 2 cups of oats.


IMG_1113
1 cup of sun flower seeds


IMG_1114
and 1 cup of walnuts
and/or any other favorite nuts


IMG_1117
I spread the oats and nuts on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven until they are just a little brown about 10 minutes.


IMG_1119
Remove the oats and nuts from the oven and add 1/3 cup of melted butter.


IMG_1122
About 2/3 cup of honey.


IMG_1123
A pinch of kosher salt.


IMG_1124
1/4 cup of sugar (brown or white)

If you have more time- combine the honey, sugar, salt and butter in a sauce pan and simmer until the sugar is dissolved and then pour into the oats mixture


IMG_1126
2 cups of dried cranberries (cherries, raisins, magos or your favorite fruit).



IMG_1128
Mix everything together.


IMG_1129
Spread onto the bottom of a VERY WELL greased baking dish or sheet


IMG_1130
and press down.


IMG_1131
Bake for 25-30 minutes at 300 degrees.


IMG_1132
Remove from oven and let it cool.


IMG_1135
Cut into squares and store in air tight container.


IMG_1136

IMG_1147
I made two batches and the second I chopped up and turned into small granola chunks to use for ice cream and yogurt toppings :)


IMG_3256

25 comments:

Nimmue said...

Delicious!!!!!!! REally Thank you for all your posts, I follow you regulary :)

Carol B said...

I love granola and I love all your ingredients. I had no idea it was so easy to make. Thanks a million for this delicious, money-saving post.

Carol B said...

Dumb question here: What oven temperature to you use?

Bee said...

I love granola bars....I eat them every day. I don't know why I never thought about making them myself! Thanks for this delicious money saving recipe!

Janet Ghio said...

These look yummy! I tried your fish with the panko crumbs this evening. It was good!!

Me said...

Mmm, I love homemade granola bars. I actually just picked up some Pecans from the store and plan on making a big batch tomorrow.
I don't know where the recipe is that I usually use so I'll have to give yours a try!

Atlanta said...

Thanks! I was just wanting to make some homemade granola bars after eating some a friend made! these look yums!

Emily said...

Oh. My. YUM. I am not a cook, so I rarely read peoples' recipe posts, but I sure do eat my fair share of granola bars! This recipe is easy and I actually have all of these ingredients- that NEVER happens:)

Off to make some yummy goodness! Thanks for sharing, Alisa!

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

Yum! These look amazing.

Denise T Designs said...

I'm so making these tomorrow!!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

They look delicious! May I ask, were they stiff or chewy?

Katie said...

Just bookmarked these! Yum!

Megan said...

I just love your recipes Alisa. Thankyou so much.

Megan said...

I just love your recipes Alisa. Thankyou so much

Home and Heart said...

I love granola! These look yummy!!

Rebekah Leigh said...

This will be my sunday baking experiment! Thanks!

Kylah Marro said...

YUMMMM TFS I can not wait to make these!!!

Lori P said...

This looks SO good! Bookmarking this recipe. Thanks.

Sandra M. said...

Mmmmm...looks delicious!!!

whyducks said...

mmmm sounds good

Carlotta said...

Thank you, thank you! Your timing is perfect as usual. I haven't come across any recipes that actually looked humanly possible and yummy at the same time...until now. I'd love to get away from the expense and processed store-bought kind.

britt said...

i have to buy supplies for that tonight. they look yummy!

Carol B said...

Oven temp, please, for those of us new to making our own granola? Thanks.

Susan Cepin said...

Thanks for the tutorial... those look delicious!

Denise T Designs said...

yum! just made this....I added about 14 c. peanut butter for a twist!
Thanks....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails