Wednesday, October 02, 2013

paper flowers mobile







Remember back in August I shared that I have been working with Brother and their new Scan N Cut machine? Well I am excited to share the first of five super fun projects that I created with the Scan N Cut!



 Mobiles are a wonderful and creative accessory use in the home (not just kids rooms). And there are so many different ways to tackle making a mobile- my favorite is to use colorful paper in different shapes to create a dynamic accent piece for any room!



I started by gathering a variety of hand painted paper and solid colorful paper. I then used my Brother Scan and Cut to cut out a variety of different shapes. Some of the shapes were flower doodles that scanned into the machine and others were simple shapes that were preloaded in the machine.

Next I sewed strands of the shapes together.


 The last step was to attach all of the strands of triangles to a wooden embroidery hoop that I wrapped in fabric. I use a dab of hot glue on the inside of the hoop and attached each strand.


Here are a few things that you need to know about the Scan N Cut:

 * It's a cutting and scanning machine

* It has a draw function that uses markers to draw out designs or seam allowances

* It cuts fabric, paper, thin sheets of metal, vinyl, template plastic, etc. 

*More than 600 built-in designs.

*300 dpi scanner- can be used to scan just about anything

*You can manipulate the dimensions of the built-in designs and your scanned in images.


Disclaimer: I am a paid consultant for Brother International Corporation and have received a ScanNCut from Brother to evaluate. However, the opinions expressed are entirely my own and based on my use of the product.

Please note that I am VERY picky about the the things I share on my blog. I only work with companies and products that I actually use in my own art and craft projects :)


11 comments:

Joan Princing Art said...

Sounds like a cool product for those who enjoy these sorts of things!

Love the mobile.

Anne said...

Interesting and impressing. Can we have an rough idea of the price?

Henriëtte said...

Thanks for this tutorial. Beautiful mobile, awesome colors and shapes.
I won your great giveaway and I like to join your class layers of love.
How can I enter in your class ?
My email : henriette@pentenga.com
Kind regards, Henriette

Holly S said...

Dreamy, Ms. Burke, dreamy!

Colleayn said...

I would love one of these! It would make great stencils. I love your mobile.

Nolwenn said...

Finally a cutting maching that can (apparently) easily cut hand drawn designs.

(ANNE: it says on the Brother website that it starts around $399...)

Unknown said...

i have looked at those contraptions before but just can't bring myself to get one.

Newswire Today said...

nice posting.. I love your mobile.

Angie said...

Oh, I love it! I made a mobile by cutting out a bagillion butterflies for my daughter when she was cooking in my belly. I strung them together with clear thread (a poke in each one, thread through, knot, next!) THIS would have been WAY easier! Plus, I love the different textures and ability to add variety. Mine are all exactly the same size since I used a scrapbook punch for the butterflies.

When you say you're a paid consultant, do you mean you're selling them? I might be in the market :) If the government shut-down ever ends!!! I quit my job the 20th to pursue my photography business...but I still need somebody to process my separation paperwork so I can cash in my retirement!

I think this machine would be AWESOME to make custom backdrops for photo booths!

How long did it take the machine to cut all the pieces? Am I being unrealistic to think I could cut enough to make a 8 foot by 5 foot with the machine? Would I burn it out in a Flash?

studioGypsy said...

looks fabulous!! xo

Unknown said...

great information.cash on delivery is best and safe payment method.You can get the products very cheap form
phone
mobile
Mobile Phone Shops & Market

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails