Monday, March 23, 2015

mermaid easter eggs

The best thing that happened to my creative process has been becoming a mom! Lucy and her interests and ideas have become a big part of my inspiration. For the past 5 years, I have a little tradition of decorating Easter eggs in creative and unique ways and this year when I sat down to brainstorm ideas, I found myself totally inspired by Lucy and her current obsession with mermaids. I couldn't resist transforming eggs into mermaids!

A project like this calls for a little practice and planning so I started out drawing some simple whimsical faces. A face is actually much easier than most people thing, especially a simple one. Here are a few tips:
There are all kinds of ways to draw a face and the best part about drawing in a whimsical style is that pretty much anything goes! You can keep it VERY simple with just dots and lines for eyes, nose and mouth OR you can get more detailed and stylized with the features.
Drawing a face is really like a formula and once you get that formula down you can mix it up and get really creative. Start by dividing the face with a line down the middle, a line at the top for eyes, a line for the bottom of the nose and a line for the mouth. 
Play with different shapes and sizes of eyes, nose and mouth.
Use unexpected color in different places to add extra whimsy.

Once I warmed up with drawing faces, I jumped into painting my eggs. 

FYI- I like using real eggs that I blow out (I remove the yolk by poking a hole in each end and then blow the yolk out). 

First I painted a quick layer of solid color- I used different shades of pink.

Next, I lightly drew the mermaid's features then I filled them in with paint.

After the paint was dry, I used a permanent pen to outline everything.

Last, I used scraps of paper to make a crown and mermaid tail that I glued to the eggs.

The result are whimsical mermaids perfect for any Easter celebration that involves a mermaid obsessed three- year old!

Looking for more egg decorating inspiration? 
Have a look at all the tutorials I've shared over the years!


14 comments:

livethegoldenrule said...

Every year your Easter eggs are so cool. I always look forward to seeing what you've come up with. These are so adorable ! I bet Lucy loves them too! Great job!! :D

Unknown said...

i've always loved your easter egg ideas!
but honestly...i'm totally glad you've got a daughter. now your eastereggs are funny and playful. i absolutely love them!

thanks for sharing your tutorial! i set a link and hope you agree.

best wishes, doro von Hand zu Hand

jabbott said...

Brilliant idea!!!!

A bike on my shirt said...

Lovely idea :)

Terri said...

How cute! Love the crown, bikini top and mermaid tail.

studioGypsy said...

perfectly awesome!! xoxoxo

Stephanie said...

so cute!

Madeleine said...

This project is just too cute!!! My girls are a looot older than your Lucy already, but I'm sure they'll love it if I do these for Easter! Tanks for sharing :)

Fragmentos ao Sol said...

Alisa, this is so creative, original and cute! Love it!!!

tiredmartha said...

Love this! I made plans to try with my little mermaid-loving cousin (also named Lucy!) this weekend. What kind of paint did you use?

Minkamo said...

hahaha :-D what a GREAT idea! absolutely love these mermaid eggs <3
Moni

Obat kuat said...

Thank you for sharing in this article

Unknown said...

Happy Easter 2015 quotes.Happy Easter 2015 wishes.Happy Easter 2015 SMS.Happy Easter 2015 images.Happy Easter 2015 wallpapers.Happy Easter
2015 greetings.Happy Easter 2015 pictures.Easter eggs images.Happy Easter 2015 messages.Happy Easter 2015 whatsapp status.Happy Easter
2015 facebook messages.
Happy Easter quotes.Happy Easter wishes.Happy Easter images. Happy Easter messages

Unknown said...


Terima kasih atas informsiny bagsu dan bermanfaat sekali

jual obat sipilis raja singa
cara pemesanan cordycps plus capsule
cara mengobati rabun akibat diabetes
cara mengobati mata katarak
cara mengkonsumsi cordycps plus capsule
obat kuntuk susah tidur
cara pemesanan eye care
obat penyakit sipilis
jelly gamat qnc


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails